Ready to start using Classroom?
If you have trouble signing in:
|Error Message||What It Means||What You Can Do|
|Your administrator hasn’t activated Classroom.||Your administrator hasn’t turned on Classroom for your account.||Contact your IT administrator.|
|This service has been disabled by your admin.||Classroom isn’t activated for your account.||Contact your IT administrator.|
|You can’t use Classroom with this account.||You signed in to Classroom with the wrong account.||1) Sign out and sign in again.|
2) On the mobile app, you’ll be asked to add another account. Sign in with the other account.
|Has your admin activated Classroom? To use Classroom, ask your school’s IT or G Suite administrator to activate Classroom for your school.||Your school doesn’t use G Suite for Education.||Your school needs to sign up for G Suite for Education before you can use Classroom.|
Access other areas of Classroom
Students, when you’re signed in, you’ll see classes your teachers created. Click Join to add yourself to a class. For details, see Join a class.
Teachers and students, click Menu (three horizontal lines) to access other areas of Classroom.
- Classes—Students, navigate to any of your classes. Teachers, see how to create a class.
- Calendar—Students, see your class calendars. Teachers, track student work on class calendars.
- Work—Students, go to See your work for a class. Teachers, go to View student work on the To-do page.
- Settings—Change your profile photo or password.
Google Hangouts is a unified communications service that enables text, voice, or video chats, either one-on-one or in a group. Hangouts is built into Google+, Gmail, YouTube, and Google Voice, plus there’s Hangouts apps for iOS, Android, and the web. It’s essentially a useful and cost-effective collaboration platform for the average person as well as enterprise customers.
- Start a conversation
- On your computer, go to hangouts.google.com or open Hangouts in Gmail. If you have the Hangouts Chrome extension, Hangouts will open in a new window.
- At the top, click New conversation .
- Enter and select a name or email address.
- Type your message. You can also add emojis and photos.
- On your keyboard, press Enter.
- Get messages
You can control who can send you messages. Learn how to change your invite settings.
When you select your Hangout window:
- The message will be marked as read. This means that the message will no longer appear as bold and your profile image shows up under the last message sent in the conversation.
- If you close or minimize your Hangout window, your profile photo will not appear.
- People can also see the type of device you use and if you’re online. Learn how to change these settings
Screencastify is a tool that allows students and educators to personalize their learning experience through sharing their voice via a screen recording. The app is a Chrome extension, meaning the tool is always at the ready whenever you want to capture some magic.
How to make your first recording
Once you’ve installed and set up Screencastify, you’re ready to create your first recording.
- Starting a recording
- Click the Screencastify extension icon (if you can’t see the icon, click here)
- Choose what you want to record: your browser tab, entire desktop, or webcam
- To narrate over your recording using an internal or external microphone, turn on the toggle next to Microphone
- To capture the audio originating from within your browser tab or application (e.g. from a video being played), click “Show more options” and turn on Tab Audio or System Audio
- Turn on the toggle next to Embed Webcam if you want to include your webcam as part of your recording
- Click RECORD. You’ll see and hear a countdown, and then your recording will begin.
When Screencastify is recording, a red dot ( ) will appear in your extension icon.
Ending a recording
To end a recording, click the extension icon again (or use a keyboard shortcut) and click the stop button.
You can also pause and resume a recording.
When you end a recording, you will automatically be taken to the recording’s Video Page, where you can edit, save and share your recording.